Thursday, August 19, 2010

In search of decent phrasing...

I’m searching for phrasing to cover concepts in the autism spectrum which are often described as “high functioning” or “verbal” or “responsive” (et cetera) that is more inclusive and less offensive. The concept of high and low functioning is nebulous at best, given that it’s only one aspect of a complex set that define how autistic people think and dream and interact with the world. And tying high functioning to the ability or desire to verbalize doesn’t make too much sense to me, either. I’ve currently settled on “more typically interactive” to get across kids that will understand and/or participate (verbally or otherwise) in conversations like the one described in my Bear Snores On Review, but I’d value other opinions on better options.

Please feel free to comment with your views.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails